Various Match Reports 1974 - 1975

A collection of some 'match reports' from the 1974/75 season courtesy of Colchester Express / Essex County Standard.

(page 2)

<--- pg 1 Various reports

COLCHESTER'S last representatives in the Essex Junior Cup. Boxted, made their exit to Heybridge Social of the Chelmsford Sunday League. Boxted's hopes were high when they took the lead but Hill and Raven gave Social victory.
In Division One of the League Moler dropped a surprise point to Monkwick who gave a spirited display and might have won had not Paul Dunn missed a great chance with only the 'keeper to beat. Dunn, earlier, had cancelled out Moler's lead given them by Todd.
Live and Let Live were jolted after a fine run by Britannia for who Gibson scored the winner.
A weakened Moler Res side strengthened their position at the top of Division Two by beating Nig Banda 2-1 with goals by fincham and Amos. Warren replied.
British Rail's promotion hopes were checked when Woods beat them with Mick Stevenson goals.
First win of the season for Globe who won by the odd goal in thre while Elmstead went to town by hitting 12. Thompson (5) and Welsh (3) were their main contributors.
Boxted Res were among the goals against Mysons and Pugh collected four. A good win for Turner Village for whom Chatters registered three and Peter Goding went one better with four for Parsons Heath Rangers.
Q.B. RES ...... 4

Since signing Russ Milburn, a young keeper from Alresford, Monarchs Res have taken on a new lease of life and but for a bad start to the season would now be challenging Elmstead for top spot. It was on Russ' debut that Elmstead suffered their only defeat in the league and it was this form that flattened Colneside on Sunday.
On a terrible pitch at Wivenhoe, Carl Spriggs gave Monarchs an early lead when he collected a through ball from Williams and coolly beat the keeper. They held this one goal lead until shortly before the break when Milburn under pressure could only half clear a cross and Thompson headed in the loose ball.
But what a difference the second half was, Monarchs were in complete control and regained the lead with a goal full of skill and determination. Williams crossed from the right following a flowing four-man build up, a defender half cleared the ball but Alan Warne who ran a good 25 yards dived between defenders and goalkeeper to head a great goal.
Watson, who had come on for Rolfe hammered in the third and also had a hand in the build up for Spriggs to slide in number four. Only a fine save prevented Spriggs from completing his hat-trick. Man of the match Alan Warne if only for his goal.

Courtesy Colchester Express 6th February 1975

Q.B. Res ............ 0
Home Farm Rangers ... 1

QB's recent revival came to a swift end at the hands of Home Farm, who just came out on top after a close match. Farm were certainly in no mood to allow QBs to continue their run, what with two points at stake, they matched them in every department and never really let them settle. Moore was back for Farm after a long lay off, replacing the unavailable Milner. From the start t was obvious that it was going to be close with both sides testing each other cautiously and play being fairly well end to end.
The second half was much the same as the first although a certain amount of aggression crept in. Farm scored the only goal of the match 10 minutes from time. Hopkins broke from defence and sent a through ball to Nigel Trovell who carried it on and cracked in a cross shot which the 'keeper could only parry to Greenleaf who made no mistake at the far post.
QB then threw everything forward but were out of luck when they had a goal disallowed for offside in the dying minutes enabling Farm to complete the double over QB this season. QB's frustrations were illustrated when they had a player booked for dissent after the final whistle.

Courtesy Colchester Express 13th February 1975

TARTAN HOUSE FC ........ 0

Rangers maintained their promotion push with a fine victory at Old Heath, gaining the double over Tartan House. Tartan House won the toss and elected to play with the strong wind with them in the first half but play soon evened out after Rangers had quickly adapted. but with both sides battling for the early goal, half time arrived goalless.
It was a different matter in the second half, however, with Rangers showing their superiority in all departments. They took the lead through skipper G.Hopkins, with a low 20 yard shot. Minutes later B.Brooke turned in number two at the near post after good work from Matthews and Greenleaf. Tartan House had the occasional break to attack but did not offer a serious threat to the solid Home Farm defence led by Miller.
After continual dominance and persistence by the Rangers forwards, goal number three was imminent and Hopkins supplied the goods hammering in a low shot from an acute angle to leave Home Farm third in the league and Tartan House out for the count.

Courtesy Colchester Express 20th February 1975

Telecomms ..... 5
Stockwell ..... 4

TELECOMMS were without centre back Clive Foulkes but welcomed back his brother Roger in midfield against Stockwell. They came out on top by the odd goal in nine.
It was an exciting game well controlled by the refree with both sides enjoying spells in the lead. In the end though Telecomms finished well on top.
Scorers for Telecomms were Baker, Foley, Wells, Newlands and Foulkes.

Courtesy ECS 11th April 1975

<--- pg 1Various reports

1974 / 75
League Results
Results Grids
League Cup Results
Cup Final Report
Various Reports