Various Other Info - 1987/88

<-- March 1988  |  April 1988  |  May 1988 -->

Three players claimed a brace as Brantham Colts moved a step nearer towards their inevitable Colchester Sunday League division one championship with a 9-3 victory over Wormingford Wanderers at the weekend.

McGreen, Morgan and Mower were the scorers in question and further goals by Balls, Dale and Woodbine piled on the agony for the Worms who did at least turn a little bit with efforts from Bright, Nunn and Smith.

The other games in the top section also produced clear cut wins. Wilson (2), Hatch and an own goal saw W.A.Hills home by four clear goals against Bourne Wanderers. Veteran Kenny Papworth was on the mark twice for Silver Oyster who caned Dog and Pheasant 4-1.

Player manager John Kerry also contributed and Shales was Osyter's other marksman with Newley replying.

One of the shocks of the day was the 4-3 defeat suffered by second division promotion hopefuls Elmstead who were pipped by struggling Layer Fox. Greener, Evans, Hunting and Sexton were the Fox marksmen with Vaughan (2) & Gene Evers replying.

Second division Post Office made progress in the League Cup at the expense of third division Boxted Wanderers whom they overcame 4-0 thanks to Mason, Dixon, Burch and Keightley.

Gunners storm on in division three but this time they had to settle for a two-goal margin against Midland Bank with Norton and Humble doing the necessary.

Little Waldingfield, 10-1 winners against Rowhedge Athletic with a couple of a hat-trick men, chalked up the biggest score of the day.
Gilsenan and Bryant both contributed a brace in Drury Arms 5-1 fourth division win against Birch United.

There was a rare win for Tiptree Monarchs Reserves who pipped Breavbrook but the odd goal in seven with Muller (2) and Hearn (2) netting. Dave Woods got two for Breavbrook whose other score came from an own goal.

Divison six hat-trick man was Holmes of Q's Snooker who romped home 8-1 against Foundry Arms. Taylor contributed two and the winners' other scorers were K.Duffett, J.Duffett and Leggett.

One of the best performances in this section came from struggling Wilkin's Jam who scored a 6-3 win in Colchester over Highwoods.

McCrory was the scoring hero for Wilkins whose other goals came from Warman (2) and Painter.

Maraschino keep in the promotion hunt after a comfortable 4-1 success against Blackheath Rovers with Chambers, Hoey, Osborne and Roberts netting. Blackheath's goal came from Himsworth.

Fisher netted two for the Post Office second string who ditched struggling Rowhedge Reserves 4-1. Preston and Gooch rounded off their scoring and the losers' consolation came from Fenwick.

Regular marksman Weeder hit two more as high-riding Lay and Wheeler eased home 3-0 against Drury Reserves. Chaplin completed the scoring.


Courtesy ECS 8th April 1988

Unlucky Tey Lion Reserves suffered a double blow in the Ernie Osborne Cup final at Birch Park on Sunday.

They had Jason Black stretchered off after just five minutes with a broken leg in the game against Drury Arms and went down in a final for the second time in three weeks.

After their 4-2 defeat at the hands of Newtown Rovers in the Terry Martin cup final, Lion were hoping for a consolation success by after Black's early injury they were beaten 3-1.

Robbie Hudson was the hero for Drury with a hat-trick and Tety Lion's reply came from Roberts.

Tey Lion's first team will be hoping for better luck this weekend when taking on Elmstead in the semi-final of the League Cup at Clairmont Road.

The other semi-final is between Little Waldingfield and Brantham. Waldingfield qualified for the last four with a 3-1 success against Post Office.
Brantham's inevitable march to the first division championship continued with a 4-0 win against Silver Oyster with Harvey, McLean, Balls and Nea on target. The other top section game produced a 2-0 success for SFC Bergholt at Wormingford with Hyams and Bloomfield doing the necessary.

Division two title favourites Tey Lion had to settle for a 1-1 draw at Old Heath Recreation where Cross cancelled out Chapman's goal for the home side.

Meanwhile near rivals Elmstead were picking up maximum points again, beating Mersea 3-1 with Vaughan grabbing a hat-trick. Johnson got a brace as Sound Salex overcame Layer Fox 4-2.

Division three promotion chasers Gunners picked up two more points but had to battle hard for a 1-0 success against Whitehall Pool.

Hat-tricks were hard to find, but one man - apart from the cup final hero Hudson - who did land a treble was Ransom of Drury Reserves who overcame struggling Rowhedge Reserves 5-0 in division six.


Courtesy ECS 15th April 1988

Will it be third time lucky for Tey Lion ?

After two Colchester Sunday League cup final defeats for the club's reserve side at the hands of Newtown and Drury Arms respectively in the Fowler and Martin competitions, Tey Lion seniors reached the League Cup decider when defeating second division Elmstead by the odd goal in five at Clairmont Road.

Cross, Springett and Sloan got the goals, with Evers - a regular marksman for Alresford in the Border League - and Double replying. Tey Lion now await the outcome of this weekend's meeting of Colchester Gaslights and Brantham which will also be at Clairmont Road.

Brantham, who will be hot favourites, eased into the last four with a 6-0 success at Little Waldingfield where Woodbine, Balls, Lumb, McLean and Nea were on target. And a home player put through his own goal.

Silver Oyster and W.A.Hills shared four goals in their first division meeting with Paine and Gill on target for the former and Wilson and Sestak hitting back.
The only other top section clash brought SFC Bergholt a 2-1 decision against Dog and Pheasant. Harper and Bloomfield netted for the winners and the consistent Glen Mathews increased his tally for the Dog.

Post Office and St Martin's shared the honours in an eight goal second division thriller at Colchester's Recreation Ground. Barham (2), Burch and Keightley were on the mark for the Postmen with Howard, Steel, Abbott and Lee replying.

Skinner and Blowers each registered a hat-trick as Mersea United swamped luckless Tiptree Monarchs 8-0, but there was an even bigger score in division three as Dedham Sports thrashed Dog and Pheasant 9-2. Joiner, with four goals, did most of the damage.

Tiptree Monarchs Reserves fell 3-0 to Newtown Rovers in division four, succumbing to a Garvey hat-trick. Harrington was a hat-trick man for Six Bells in their 4-3 fifth division win against Tey Lion Reserves.


Courtesy ECS 22nd April 1988

The Colchester Sunday League Cup final, which was scheduled for this weekend, has been postponed - because of a shock result.

Colchester Gaslights held hot favourites Brantham to a goalless draw after extra time on Sunday.

And this weekend the sides will meet again to decide who goes forward to tackle division two outfit Tey Lion in the decider.

There were no matches in the top section and in the only second division encounter Post Office edged out Monkwick 6-4 at Clairmont Road thanks to two hat-trick men. They were Bryan and Keightley.

The Elmstead - Sound Salex and Mersea United - Tiptree Monarchs matches were postponed.

Another hat-trick man was Clark of Dedham Sports who netted half his side's goals in a 6-1 third division success against Midland Bank.

Everett and Spooner were on the mark for Boxted Wanderers in a 2-0 win against Birch Park Royals and King (2), Norton (2) and Sampson were the men on target as Gunners trimmed Dog and Pheasant Reserves 5-2. White and Glen Mathews replied.
Booth hit three in AFC Pegasus's 5-0 fourth division win against Boxted Wanderers Reserves and Neil claimed a double as consistent Drury Arms overcame Birch United 5-3.

The experienced Doug MacDonald led the Brick and Tile scoring in his side's 8-3 fifth division victory over Brightlingsea Sun with another treble.

Tey Lion Reserves hit Elmstead Res for six without reply with Springett getting a hat-trick and Roberts, Osborne, Manix, Hoey, Clayton-Smith and Diplock completed the rout.

Lay and Wheeler maintained their challenge with a 2-0 win against struggling Rowhedge Reserves.

Duffett of Q's Snooker, hit a double as his side comfortably overcame Wilkin's Jam 6-2.


Courtesy ECS 29th April 1988

<-- March 1988  |  April 1988  |  May 1988 -->

1987 / 88
League Cup
Fowler Cup
Osborne Cup
Martin Trophy
Various other