Various Other Info - 1987/88

<-- January 1988  |  February 1988  |  March 1988 -->

Just three of the 29 matches scheduled for Colchester Sunday League clubs went ahead. All matches in division one, two and three were off, the John Fowler Cup semi-final between Brantham Colts and Gunners was postponed and there was no play in the Essex Junior Trophy and League Cup games.

However, there were two games in division four. Wells Hall Wanderers scored the only goal in the match against Civil Service with Moorhouse settling the destination of the points.

Tiptree Monarchs were comfortable winners by 3-1 at Ardleigh. The home goal was netted by a Tiptree player with Hearn (2) and Martin on target for the winners.

Tey Lion Reserves stay among the pacemakes in division five after beating Newtown Rovers Res by the odd goal in three thanks to goals by Hunt and Cross. Barron replied.

Courtesy ECS 5th February 1988

A double hat-trick from Woodhall was the highlight of the biggest win in the first division of Colchester Sunday League so far this season a 10-0 triumph by Colchester Gaslights over struggling Torch On.

Just to rub salt into the Torch On wounds Plane (?) supported with a hat-trick and the winners other goal was supplied by Read.

Although there was plenty of action, seven games were postponed. In the Essex Junior Trophy the useful Brick and Tile outfit from the fifth divison was unceremoniously dumped out of the competition by second division Post Office.

(unreadable paragraph)

(unreadable paragraph)

There was another double figure match in the League Cup with Boxted Wanderers hammering Foundry Arms 10-2 at Mile End. Twydell was another striker to hit five goals and his colleagues on target were Lott (2), Oakes, Spooner and a Foundry man who put the ball in his own net.

Taylor and Field managed consolation goals for the sixth division side.

Division two Sound Salex pipped SFC Bergholt from the top section by the odd goal in three courtesy of Suttonwood and Bray. Humm replied.

Nayland Eagles were 6-3 winners over Newtown Rovers - a clear cut looking result but in fact the match went into extra time. Scorers for the sixth division side were Evans (2), Harvey (2), Carrington and Harrison. Lasky hit two for Newtown whose other goal came from Henry.

Top section W.A.Hills were given a tough battle by the third division men of Dedham Sports for whom Moel, Clark and Bird were on target. But Hills just scraped through by the odd goal in seven.
AFC Pegasus from division four hit Birch Park Royals for six thanks mainly to a hat-trick from Burgess with an own goal, Builders and Richie making up the total. All that their third division opponents could offer in reply was a goal by Caney.

An all first-division battle produced a 2-1 win for Dog and Pheasant against Wormingford. Glenn Mathews scored both goals for the Dog and Farthing replied.

Sixth division strugglers Wilkins Jam put up a good battle against Millsproud from division five before going down 3-1 after extra time. Canning, Newstead and Arnold hit the Millsproud goals with Warman scoring for the Tiptree team.

Also in extra time, Birch United scraped 3-2 against Brightlingsea Sun. Rogers, Carrington and Barry netted for the winners with Billington and Alexander keeping Sun in the hunt.

Tey Lion keep well and truly on the promotion trail in division two after their 8-1 romp against Layer Fox. Cross led the way with four of the goals and O'Riordan, Lines, Sloan and Matthews also showed that the Lion could roar. Wright obtained the Fox consolation.

A key third division game ended in a 4-2 win for Gunners over Apex with Norton getting a hat-trick. Steve Emsden hit four as Drury Arms won their fourth division game against Ardleigh Athletic 7-3. Salt replied with a brace.


Courtesy ECS 12th February 1988

Second division Colchester Sunday League outfit Post Office are the Essex Junior Trophy area champions after their 2-1 victory at Shrub End over Mersea United. Clarke and Gosling netted for the Postmen and Mersea's goal came from Woolley.

But in the league, the headlines were snatched by fifth division Six Bells who romped to an astonishing 15-1 triumph over Robert's Bar at Mile End. Pearce helped himself to a nap hand and Walkins was close behind with four of the goals. Evans and Harrison each contributed a brace and Stoker and Abbott rounded off the opposition's misery. But Clark did manage a consolation goal for the losers.

There was Terry Martin Cup progress for Newtown Reserves and Tey Lion Reserves, each of whom hit five when accounting for Tiptree Res and Boxted Res respectively. Barron (2), Osborne, Fleming and Hammond netted for Newtown and Tiptree's reply came from Anderson.

Star marksman "Noddy" Noble landed yet another hat-trick for Tey Lion Reserves, whose total was boosted by Brown and Bryant. Baker hit two in reply for Boxted Reserves.

All the top section matches provided clear cut wins. Hills led the way with a 6-0 thrashing of Torch On courtesy of Hatch (2), L.Wooldridge (2), N.Wooldridge and Wilson.

Silver Oyster hit four without reply against Dog and Pheasant and player-manager John Kerry starred with a hat-trick. Gascoyne completed the scoring. Hyams, Harper and D.Bloomfield eased SFC Bergholt home by 3-0 against Bourne Wanderers.
Tey Lion continued their promotion push from the second division in style with a convincing 5-1 win against Monkwick with Mathews (3) and Cross (2) sharing the goals. But Royal London were the biggest winners in this section. Innes (2), McGregor (2), Abbott, Mill and Playle gave them a 7-1 triumph at Layer Fox with Pegg obtaining the consolation.

Orvis and Kent both registered hat-tricks as Mistley United led the third division scoring parade with their 8-1 win at Midland Bank. AFC Pegasus won their fourth division match 9-2 against Ardleigh Athletic with Daughters getting a hat-trick and three other players hitting a brace. They were Mallenger, Burgess and Linnane.

Queen's, in good form these days, lashed Birch 7-1 with Knocker and Pearce each getting two. Colchester Lathe's Munday finished with a treble in his side's 5-1 fifth division win at Brightlingsea Sun. Christmas led Wivenhoe's scoring as they overcame Brick and Tile by a similar margin.

Taylor was the leading scorer in division six. He rapped four as Q's Snooker polished off Post Office Res 5-0. Laird (3), Baker (2) and Idross were on the mark as Highwoods hit Rowhedge Res for six.

Another hat-trick man was Hemsworth as Blackheath Rovers overcame Roy's Inn 4-2.


Courtesy ECS 19th February 1988

<-- January 1988  |  February 1988  |  March 1988 -->

1987 / 88
League Cup
Fowler Cup
Osborne Cup
Martin Trophy
Various other