Various Other Info - 1987/88

January 1988  |  February 1988 -->

It was a sad day for Colchester Sunday League sides competing in the fourth round of the Essex Junior Cup at the weekend. Old Heath Rec crashed 8-1 at Panfield Bell and Silver Oyster also went down to Braintree Sunday League opposition when suffering a 4-0 beating at home from Colne Hammers. The Cherry Tree (Brightlingsea) - W.A.Hills clash was off because of a waterlogged pitch.

There were three all-Colchester League clashes in the Essex Junior Trophy. Mersea United, from division two, carried too many guns for Tey Lion Reserves from division five, and went through 7-2 thanks to goals by Farmery (2), Woolley (2), Keating, Robinson & Skinner. "Noddy" Noble replied with a brace.

Maraschino Rovers, who are currently five points clear in division six, must have had hopes of pulling off a giant-killing act against division two Post Office but were well beaten 4-0 at home. Burch provided the punch for Post Office with a hat-trick and Tidey was the other marksman.

Brick and Tile had no problems against Q's Snooker and with goals by Marsh (2), S.Dadds, H.Dadds and Guernari came out on top 5-1.

Six Bells, second in division five, shared eight goals with Clacton League outfit Red Lion and then won a penalty shoot out to go through.

Pearce (3) and Evans were on target for the Colchester side in the match and P.Abbott, C.Abbott, G.Wilkins, M.Skillen and B.Brown registered from the spot. Red Lion scored four penalties.

There were only two first division games. Torch On are still seeking their first win after a 3-0 defeat at Wormingford Wanderers whose scorers were Evans, Farthing and Noble.

However, Bourne Wanderers eased their problems at the bottom of the table when pipping high-riding Gaslights by the odd goals in three with a brace from Clyne. Day replied.

The big match in division two ended in a 1-1 draw between Elmstead Athletic and Tey Lion Athletic which means Tey Lion stay four points clear with Elmstead having three matches in hand. Warren netted for Tey Lion and Warner replied.
Tiptree Monarchs problems continue after a 7-0 hiding at the hands of St Martins for whom Harward led the way with a hat-trick and Fisher, Steel, Lee and Buy also netted. Monarchs have won only one of their 11 matches.

Division three leaders Mistley United crashed 4-1 at Little Waldingfield and their only consolation was a goal by Staff.

Boxted Wanderers pipped Dog and Pheasant Reserves by the odd goal in seven with Lott (2), Twydell and Blair netting. Thorpe (2) and Bell scored for Dog. Birch Park Royals eased some of their problems when beating Midland Bank 2-0 through McDermott and Armstrong.

Tiptree Monarchs Res claimed the honours in division four with their 5-2 win at Breavebrook courtesy of goals by Logan (2), K.Dadds (2) and Muller. Bottom team Ardleigh put up a brave fight against Newtown but went down 2-1 at home after Knight had netted. Osborne and Brown were on target for the winners. Drury Arms went down 3-1 to Wells Hall Wanderers for whom Moorhouse, Harris and Hume registered. Drury's consolation came from Neil

Division five leaders Arena proved too strong for Millsproud at Shrub End 4-1 thanks to goals by Went (2), Addison and Gibson. Long replied. This puts them six points clear. Lathe beat Elmstead Res 4-2 with Greenleaf, Mundy, Thompson and an opposition player making up their total. Clampin hit a brace for Elmstead.

Most of the sixth division games were closely fought affairs but there was an exception at Drury Arms Res where Wilkins Jam were beaten 4-1 by goals from Crouch, Griddike, Stevens and Jackson with Sheen replying.

Rowhedge Reserves, bottom of the table, went down 2-1 to Nayland Eagles whose scorers were Stevenson and Harrington, Brady was the visitors' marksman.

Foundry Arms and Blackheath shared four goals. Fields netted a brace for the former and Hemsworth and Maddock replied. Preston had a brace as Post Office Res pipped Highwoods 3-2.


Courtesy ECS 8th January 1988

Drury Arms and Tey Lion Athletic Reserves are set to contest the final of the Colchester Sunday League's Osborne Cup competition.

In the semi-finals at the weekend, Drury, currently second in division four, pipped Wivenhoe from division five by the odd goal in three with Bryan getting both goals. Noy replied.

Tey Lion Reserves of division four carried too much fire power for fourth division AFC Pegasus, coming out on top 5-3. Leading marksman "Noddy" Noy scored two of the goals, Ferris also registered a brace and the winner's other goal came from Black. Daughters (2) and Lyness scored for Pegasus.

Dog and Pheasant roared through to the John Fowler Cup final in great style, hammering their first division rivals Silver Oyster 5-0 with Carter (2), Barton, Smith and Baker piling on the agony.

The third round replay in the same competition also produced an eye-catching scoreline with third division Gunners thrashing second division Mersea United 9-2. And the hero was Norton who finished with a double hat-trick. Husband (2) and Newman completed the rout with Willey and Farmery getting consolation golas for the shattered opposition.

Division one outfit W.A.Hills are out of the Essex Sunday Junior Cup. They went down 2-1 to Clacton Leaguers Cherry Tree with Simpson scoring the goal.

Brantham Colts march on remorselessly in the top section. They handed out an 8-1 beating to bottom-of-the-table Torch On with Christian McClean and Jon Lumb (3) sharing the goals. Brantham now have a maximum 16 points from eight games and their nearest rivals Colchester Gaslights have already dropped six. Gaslights beat Wormingford 2-0 in the only other top section game with Day and Scott netting.

Division two leaders Tey Lion Athletic really have the sniff of promotion in their nostrils. They slammed St Martin's 6-0 with Cross (4) and Sloan (2) on target. Nearest rivals Elmstead went down 2-1 at Monkwick where Moy (2) obtained the winners' goals. Vaughan replied.
Tiptree Monarchs continue to struggle. They went down 5-1 to Royal London for whom McGregor registered a hat-trick and Innes and Robson also scored. The consolation came from Painter.

Post Office and Old Heath Rec shared four goals with Mather and Keightley netting for the former and Bennett and Mayze replying.

Division three table toppers Mistley United went nap against Birch Park Royals and they also kept a clean sheet. They were helped by two own goals with Hancock, Orviss and Staff also netting. Dedham were 5-1 winners at Dog and Pheasant Reserves thanks to Joiner (2), Smith (2) and Clark, Bethell replied.

Apex won the only other game in the section, by 3-1 at Boxted Wanderers with Jackson claiming a hat-trick.

Wells Hall Wanderers chalked up the biggest fourth division win, beating Tilers 4-0 to move into the top half of the table. Hargreen, Hulme, Truman and Swain did the damage. Leaders Queen's won 3-1 at Breavebrook with Knocker getting all three. Dave Woods was responsible for the home side's goal.

Brick and Tile marksman Marsh scored four of his side's goals in an 8-2 romp against Newtown Rovers with McWilliams (2), K.Dadds and Doug McDonald lending support. Pearce (3) and Evans (2) shared the goals as Six Bells accounted for Elmstead Reserves 5-3.

Division six table toppers Maraschino Rovers drew a ten-goal thriller with Q's Snooker. Chambers (2), Mannicks, White and Hoey netted for Maraschino with Goodhew replying with a hat-trick. Taylor and Holmes completed the scoresheet.

Newcomers Wilkin's Jam chalked up their second win of the season when beating Foundry Arms 4-1. Crook took the honours with a hat-trick and Norman got the other goal for the winners with Field replying.


Courtesy ECS 15th January 1988

Gunners bombed their way to the biggest win in the Colchester Sunday League Cup first round ties when they thrashed sixth division Highwoods 17-0 with Newman helping himself to eight of the goals. Norton (3), McKinley (3), Wheeler (2) and Burnett piled on the agony as the third division favourites ran riot.

There were plenty of goals but few shocks. Second division promotion candidates Tey Lion just got the verdict against top section Silver Oyster by the odd goal in three thanks to a hat-trick from Micky Cross. Bateman and Gascoigne replied.

Fourth division leaders Queens proved too strong for Ardleigh Athletic who are bottom of this section. But Ardleigh put up a good fight before going down 7-4. Knocker led the way for Queens with four of the goals and Pearce and Linnane completed the visitors total. Willis (2), Cole and Lamont were on target for Ardleigh.

Elmstead Athletic, who are battling it out for the top spot in division two with Tey Lion, saw off the challenge from sixth division Philips 7-2. Gene Evers, a regular marksman for Alresford in the Border League, rapped a hat-trick for the winners and Vaughan (3) and Long rounded off their scoring. Miles and Warner netted for Philips.

Odds-on favourites for the first division championship Brantham proved 4-0 too strong for third division Apex with Lumb (2), Morgan and Hall on the mark.

Maraschino Rovers, the clear leaders in division six, were hoping to put up a good effort against Gaslights from the top section in a second round tie, but bit the dust by a 7-2 margin. Woodall led the downfall of the minnows with a haul of four goals and Scott (2) and Paine also netted. Hoey and Chambers managed consolation goals for Maraschino.

Other sides from division one to go through to the second round were WA Hills, Bourne Wanderers, Wormingford and SFC Bergholt. Hills romped home 5-2 in a potentially difficult fixture against third division pacesetters Arena with Lamb (2), J.Jones, Wilson and Waldridge netting. Riley and Price replied.

Bourne accounted for second division strugglers Tiptree Monarchs 3-1 thanks to Clyne (2) and Bailey. Curry got the consolation.

SFC Bergholt had no problems against fourth division Civil Service, hitting six goals without reply through Harper (3), Hymes (2) and Bloomfield.

But Torch On, who have yet to register a point in division one after 12 attempts went down 5-2 at home to Sound Salex, a mid-table outfit from division two. Suttonwood slammed the individual honours here with four goals and Hales was also on target. Marriage got a brace for the losers.

Wormingford eased home 5-1 against Robert's Bar with Peace a hat-trick man and Evans and Carter also netting. Rowland replied.

Clyne (2) and Bailey netted for Bourne Wanderers in a 3-1 win against Tiptree Monarchs with Curry replying.

Layer Fox have not been having too happy a time in division two, but they forgot their league problems to beat fourth division Breavebrook 5-2 with Hunting (2), Wright, Pompery and Kunz scoring. Dave Woods and Millar replied.

Lay and Wheeler from the sixth division put up a good fight before going down 6-3 to division three Dedham for whom Joiner (2), J,Clark (2), M.Clark and Bird netted.

Divison five side Wivenhoe turned in a good performance to see off the useful fourth division side Drury Arms 3-1 with Welsh getting a hat-trick. Pearce was the Colchester side's scorer.

Two games went to extra time; Mistley, from division three overcame Brick and Tile 4-3 through Stockton, Cambridge, Mawdsley and Orriss. Thompson and Doug McDonald replied.

Birch Park Royals and Whitehall Pool shared four goals after two hours and have to meet again.

Blackheath Rovers, who are well in the sixth division promotion race, had a good 5-3 win against third division Midland Bank with Coleman grabbing a brace and Hughes, Burke and Himsworth also netting. Dean, Young and Payne netted for the home side.

Linnane hit two as AFC Pegasus from the fourth division beat their colleagues Wells Hall Wanderers by four clear goals.

There were just two ties in the opening round of the Terry Martin Cup and both were closely fought affairs. A Noddy Noble brace saw Tey Lion Res to a 2-1 success against Dog and Pheasant Res who replied through Barton.

Newtown Rovers Res edged home by the same scoreline against Post Office Res 2-1 with Barron and an own goal making up the total. Fisher replied.


Courtesy ECS 22nd January 1988

Just six matches survived in the Colchester Sunday League. The intriguing John Fowler Cup semi-final between Brantham and third division high flyers Gunners was washed out as were the two Essex Junior Trophy semi-finals.

And ironically the one match in the first round of the League Cup, between Nayland Eagles and Newtown Rovers ended in a 2-2 draw after extra time.

This was a good performance by sixth division Eagles against fourth division opposition. Amery and Hemson scored their goals and Lee and Stevens were on target for the Colchester side.

However, the first round replay provided a decision. Birch Park Royals from division three, accounted for Whitehall Pool from the same section 3-1 thanks to a brace from Armstrong and a goal from Wright.

Division four provided two games. Queen's boosted their promotion prospects with a 7-0 success against Tiptree Monarchs Reserves with Alan Linnane registering four of the goals. Knocker (2) and Thompson completed the rout.

Civil Service did even better, hammering Ardleigh 9-1 and here again there was a four-goal man. Harris led the Civil Service scoring and was supported by a hat-trick from Knight and a goal apiece from Jones and Dencasamy.

Fifth division title candidates Arena slammed the useful Tey Lion Reserves outfit 5-1 thanks mainly to a hat-trick from Jones. Went and Riley also netted and Brown replied.

The only other game provided Newtown Reserves with a 2-2 draw against the Royal London string. Cawley and Fleming netted for Newtown and Innes and replied.

Courtesy ECS 29th January 1988

(Final paragraph reproduced as in the ECS at the time)

January 1988  |  February 1988 -->

1987 / 88
League Cup
Fowler Cup
Osborne Cup
Martin Trophy
Various other