Various Other Info - 1987/88

<-- April 1988  |  May 1988

Brantham Colts, already assured of the Colchester Sunday League first division title, are through to the league cup final after a desperately close battle with Colchester Gaslights.

The sides were still locked at 1-1 after extra time in the replay, so it was all down to a penalty shoot-out. Brantham finally triumphed 4-1 and they now meet the second division title winners Tey lion.

Brantham have gained a maximum 24 points from the 12 league matches they have completed so far. SFC Bergholt have completed their 16-game programme with 24 points and could only win the championship if Brantham lose all their last four games and concede at least 33 goals.

In division two Tey Lion have completed their programme with 33 points from 20 matches and are seven in front of Elmstead who still have three fixtures left. Tiptree Monarchs are certain to finish bottom after a 4-2 home defeat at the hands of St Martin's.

Curry and Brown were the men on target for the Monarchs and Steel proved the match winner for the Saints with a hat-trick. The visitors' other goal came from Haward.

Gunners are third division champions and they clinched the title with a victory over Birch Park Royals by the odd goal in three. Teasdale and Sampson were the scorers with Tompkins replying.

Apex finished their programme with 27 points, but Dedham look the better bet for second place because they are only one point adrift with two games in hand. Dedham missed out on Sunday when they were beaten 3-1 by Boxted Wanderers for whom Everett (2) and Day scored. Joiner replied.
Whitehall Pool have lost all 19 matches in this section, scoring nine goals with 90 conceded.

Queen's are the fourth division champions and finished the seson with 18 wins and four draws after pipping Tilers 2-1. Chown and Pearce scored with Alden hitting back for Tilers. Drury were held to a 3-3 draw by Tiptree Monarchs Reserves - Hudson, Clarke and Pearce were the scorers - but are sure of second spot. Muller scored all the Monarchs goals.

Arena, 1-0 winners against Elmstead Reserves, courtesy of a goal from Price, are fifth divison champions.

Wivenhoe, 4-2 winners against Brightlingsea Sun with Noy (2), Yearling and Christmas netting, are locked in a tight battle for second spot with Six Bells, who beat Mersea Res 3-1 thanks to goals from Harrington, Harris and Abbott. Wivenhoe lead by one point and both have three games to play.

The sixth division championship goes to Maraschino Rovers who have completed their fixtures with 42 points from 24 games.

Lay and Wheeler are hot favourites for second spot after thrashing Wilkin's Jam 9-1. Sealey led the way with a hat-trick and the other goals were supplied by Boyden, Jeffereies, Stockdale, Myrah, Weeder and Chapman.


Courtesy ECS 6th May 1988

Brantham Colts are Colchester Sunday League division one champions for the second year running after beating Dog and Pheasant by the odd goal in five at the weekend with goals from Rush, Nea and Hall.

And Brantham go for the double on Sunday when they take on Tey Lion in the League Cup final at the Stanway Rovers' ground. Tey will also be chasing a double, having clinched the second division title.

All the championship issues have now been settled. Post Office and Elmstead are still battling it out for runners-up spot in division two, either Dedham or Little Waldingfield will take second place in division three and either Six Bells or Wivenhoe will finish immediately behind fifth division champions Arena.

Elmstead beat Post Office 4-2 on Sunday, but the latter can still take second place if they win all their remaining matches. Gene Evers (2) and Stuart Vaughan (2) shared the goals for Elmstead with Burch and Keightley replying.
Farmery hit a brace in Mersea United's 5-3 victory at Old Heath Rec and the visitors' other goals came from Farthing, Hempstead and Turner. Chapman, Bennett and King netted for Old Heath.

Third division champions Gunners came unstuck by 4-2 at Boxted for whom C.Everett (2), K.Everett and Cook were on target. Norton got both for the title winners.

Six Bells boosted their hopes of finishing second in division five when pipping Newtown Reserves 5-4 while Wivenhoe's scheduled home game against Mersea Reserves was called off. Evans (2) led the way for Six Bells, whose other marksmen were Cansdale, Skillen and a visiting player who put through his own goal.


Courtesy ECS 13th May 1988

Despite being beaten 3-1 in the Colchester Sunday League Cup final by Brantham, Tey Lion had plenty to celebrate at the Stanway Rovers' FC ground at the weekend.

For Tey received the second division championship trophy from League chairman Ted Maidens.

Pictured with the trophy are, left to right back row; Colin Saunders, secretary, Mick Springett, Danny King, Paul Matthews, Martin Gray, Roger Warren, Steve Brock, Bob Sloan, Trevor Lakes, manager.

Front: Steve Smart, trainer, Ray Lines, Micky Cross, Brian Strong, Andy Lines, captain, Steve Edgerley, Brian Seymour.

Brantham Colts were made to battle hard before completing a Colchester Sunday League double at the Stanway Rovers ground at the weekend.

The first division champions were taken to extra time by second division title winners Tey Lion before coming out on top 3-1 with a brace from Hall and a goal from Woodbine.

Lines replied for Tey Lion who have not had much luck in cup finals this season. But the club's consolation has been that second division title and the fulfilment of that dream of top section soccer at last.

Elmstead are now favourites for runners-up spot in division two after beating their nearest rivals Colchester Post Office by the goal in five. Vaughan, Evers and Morgan were on target for Elmstead with Dixon and Keightley replying.

Dog and Pheasant wound up their programme in the top section with a 3-1 win at struggling Bourne Wanderers with Chaplin, Thorpe and Beal doing the scoring. Clyne replied.
Six Bells are still on course to be runners-up in division five after a 5-3 victory over Colchester Lathe with Pearce, Harrington, Abbott, Evans and Stanton netting. So Greenleaf's brace was in vain for Colchester Lathe who's other marksman was Harvey.

Wivenhoe hit Newtown Reserves for seven with Welsh claiming four of the goals and they have an important date with Six Bells this weekend. Yearling (2) and Sheppard were the winners' other marksmen and Garvey replied.

Smallwood and Beard hit hat-tricks as Elmstead Reserves slammed seven against Mersea Reserves who didn't manage one in reply.

And there was a sixth division hat-trick for Bryan of Drury Arms Reserves who won 6-3 at Nayland Eagles.


Courtesy ECS 20th May 1988

Wivenhoe Town's incredible run of success spilled over into the Colchester Sunday League when the club clinched the division five runners-up spot.

They celebrated their promotion to division four next season with a convincing 4-1 home win over luckless Six Bells thanks to goals from S. Yearling (2), P. Yearling and Edwards. Evans scored Bell's consolation effort.

And there was a handsome 5-1 success for third division runners-up Little Waldingfield over Birch Park Royals, Smiles grabbing a hat-trick while Cobbin weighed in with two. LePage got Royals' only goal.

Elsewhere, Harrup also hit three goals in St Martins (CSSC) 6-1 second division home win over Mersea United, Haward (two) and Buy registering the other three.

Keithley (two) and Gosling were on the mark in Post Office's 3-2 success over Monkwick, with Cushion and Lynch replying for the visitors. The Postmen and Mersea had already shared a 2-2 draw earlier in the week.
Knight scored the only goal in Civil Service's 1-0, fourth division, away win at Boxted Wanderers Reserves.

But there were four goals each for Brock and Sloan in Tey Lion Reserves' 11-1 drubbing of shell-shocked fifth division hosts Mersea Reserves.

Brown (two) and Hunt scored Lions' other goals.

Vaughan (two), Clampin and Smallwood hit Elmstead's goals in their 4-2 home win over Colchester Lathe. Thompson and Greenleaf replied for Lathe.

Lee, Garvey and Barrow were on the mark in Newtown Reserves' 3-0 home win over Brightlingsea Sun and there was a 3-2 win for Brick and Tile over Royal London Reserves.

McDonald, Ganarri and Dadds scored for B and T, with McGregor and Hill replying. Brightlingsea Sun and Tey Lion shared a 3-3 draw in midweek.

Courtesy ECS 27th May 1988

Former Orient and Colchester United forward Terry Price, extreme right, back row, with the Arena team which finished champions of division five in the Colchester Sunday Football League.

Courtesy ECS 10th June 1988

<-- April 1988  |  May 1988

1987 / 88
League Cup
Fowler Cup
Osborne Cup
Martin Trophy
Various other