Season 2017 / 18  

The Fowler Memorial Cup 2017/18

6th May 2018 - The Fowler Memorial Cup Final

Duckpond1 - 3Marquis

Referee : Richard Baker
Assistants : David Byrne & Lee Miller
4th Official : Simon Lewis

A cloudless sky greeted players, officials and supporters of Duckpond and Marquis to School Lane, Lawford for the 2017/18 Fowler Memorial Cup Final.

Referee Mr Baker got the game under way with Marquis kicking off and looking to go straight on the attack.

An early chance for Marquis came as Jamie Guy rose highest to get a header on target and Duckpond’s Sam Felgate was forced to concede an early corner. Nothing came from the kick though and the Ducks were able to clear but Marquis were pushing hard in the early minutes and Duckpond couldn’t get out of their own half.

Finally, a long pass forward gave them something to chase and good pressure from Matt Geen forced a corner to Duckpond. Marquis cleared and went back on the attack but it was Duckpond who created the next chance at goal. A cross into the marquis box was met by Ben Hammonds who lofted the ball over the advancing Glen Morrison but the chance came back off the bar and Marquis were able to clear.

Duckpond came again, a run forward from Jamie Eades found Ryan Smart in space but his low left-footed drive flew wide of the far post.

Marquis seemed happy to soak up some of this early pressure and hit back on the break but their final ball wasn’t quite ‘on the money’.

A Marquis free kick was quickly taken looking for the run of Guy but Felgate had given himself a good starting position and was quickly out of his box to kick clear.

Marquis moved forward again and Smart, covering across took no chances, putting the ball out for a throw. Nathan English was the Marquis long throw merchant and he hurled deep into the box where it met a Duckpond head at the expense of a corner.

Duckpond were able to clear, Geen knocked it over the top for the run of Rob Good but too much on it and Morrison was able to tidy up as the ball came into his box.

A cross from deep on the Marquis left from Kevin McLeod picked out Guy in the middle but his glanced header flew wide.

McLeod had another chance to cross soon after following good work on the opposite side by Karl Andrade. His ball across the Duckpond area evaded everyone but McLeod picked it up on the left, took a touch and then found Stewart Tomkinson who powered his header down and in to give Marquis the lead.

   Duckpond 0 – 1 Marquis

Duckpond went forward, winning a corner. The initial cross was headed out to Rob Good but his volley from outside the box was always rising – goal kick Marquis.

A twisting run from Andrade out on the right gave him a chance to cross but his effort was a bit too close for comfort and Felgate got up well to palm it over for another corner.

The cross was cleared but a foul gave Marquis a chance to put it back into the danger area. The ball dropped but as players from both sides looked to get a meaningful touch the whistle blew and Duckpond had some respite and a free kick.

Some great interplay between Guy, McLeod and Andrade saw the ball in the back of the Duckpond net again but the cheers were quickly muted as the flag had gone up for offside.

Marquis were trying to take advantage of Andrade’s pace but the striker was caught offside twice more in quick succession.

A run from Eades looked promising until he was clattered by Tomkinson and this looked like the first card of the encounter. But, a stern talking to was all that Mr Baker felt was necessary and Duckpond restarted play with a free kick.

Andrade almost doubled the Marquis lead with a cheeky flick from a Kevin McLeod cross but Felgate got down quickly to make the block and smothered the loose ball before anyone in red could react.

Duckpond should have been level from their next attack as a cross found Rob Good unmarked eight yards from goal but his header found Morrison and the keeper claimed calmly before berating his back line for the complete lack of marking !

Duckpond were back in it though as a long pass forward gave them something to chase. A foul gave Marquis a free kick wide of their own box and Morrison banged it into midfield only to find himself having to quickly get back as a Duckpond header sent it back from whence it came with Matt Geen in hot pursuit. The Duckpond man held off his marker and finished well past the Marquis keeper before wheeling away to celebrate the equaliser.

   Duckpond 1 – 1 Marquis

Not much more action to talk about and Mr Baker brought the first half to a close.

Half Time : Duckpond 1 – 1 Marquis

A change each for either side at the half with Jake Kioussis coming on for Duckpond and Sean Catney replacing Jamie Guy for Marquis.

A Duckpond long throw won them a corner and Morrison was forced to put it behind to safety. The second cross picked out a Duckpond head this tie but Ben Hammond could only direct the chance high over the bar.

A great chance came Duckpond’s way as Ryan Smart did superbly to nick possession away wide on the left. His low curled pass found Matt Geen bearing down on gaol but a great sliding challenge blocked his shot and Marquis’ supporters could breathe easy.

Geen then returned the favour with a reverse pass, strong defending pushed Smart wide and although the netting rippled it was the wrong side of the post.

Craig minter worked the ball up the Marquis right to McLeod. He clipped a pass over the top looking for Andrade but just too much on it and Felgate was able to come and claim at the edge of his area.

Eades did well on the right hand side and fired a cross into the Marquis area but Morrison was able to claim before sending the ball forward into midfield. And from there, Marquis were ahead. The simplest of gaols really as Minter knocked it through and Karl Andrade needed just the one touch to push the ball past Felgate and put Marquis back in front.

   Duckpond 1 – 2 Marquis

Another good run from Eades on the right ended with a dangerous cross but no-one in orange had taken the gamble and the chance came to nothing.

Duckpond won a corner but Marquis cleared and looked to break quickly. Andrade got to the long ball and laid if back to McLeod but his left footed effort flew high.

A pass over the top from Duckpond had the Marquis back line under pressure with defenders coming back and Morrison coming out but Dan Bugg, who was having a strong game at centre-half for Marquis. Was taking no chance and smacked the ball up and away. A great first touch from Kioussis looked as though it had got him away wide on the left but a challenge brought him to the ground and Duckpond had a free kick just outside the Marquis box.

The free kick was curled in but Morrison got a big fist to it and Marquis completed the clearance. Duckpond tried to go long again but Marquis banged it forward and Andrade was off on the chase again. First to the ball he turned away from his marker and let fly but his left footed effort lacked power and Felgate had an easy save.

Kioussis was becoming more influential for Duckpond but his teammates weren’t quite on the same wavelength and a couple of very promising passes went away when they could easily have been worth so much more.

A neat touch from Brandon Rusby took him away from a couple of tackles but the third brought him down and Duckpond had a free kick central just outside the Marquis box. Kioussis hit the shot and Morrison, although somewhat unconvincingly, made the save and Marquis cleared the danger. They went forward and won a free kick of their own. Kevin McLeod was the man behind the ball and he gave Felgate absolutely no chance at all, curling over the wall and in off the inside of the post to surely give Marquis the trophy.

   Duckpond 1 – 3 Marquis

Duckpond weren’t giving up though, Kioussis found Matt Geen who worked well in very little space before firing a low cross but again there was no-one there to supply the finish.

Another great run from Rusby took him past a number of challenges but again a foul brought his jinking run to an end. Kioussis and Luke Mayhew were over the ball but this time it was Mayhew letting fly – just over the bar with Morrison looking as though he had it covered anyway.

A Marquis free kick just inside the Duckpond half was hit for goal by McLeod and he very nearly caught Felgate napping but the keeper did excellently to recover his ground and get up to tip over at the expense of a corner.

With no time left Duckpond got a corner, Felgate went up for it but despite the best efforts of both him and his teammates, Marquis were able to clear the danger and a blast of the whistle from Mr Baker brought the 2017/18 Fowler Memorial Cup Final to an end.

Full Time : Duckpond 1 – 3 Marquis

Duckpond : Sam Felgate, Ben Hammond, Tyler Sullivan, Nicky Palmer, Reece Harte, Jamie Eades (c), Phil Taylor, Liam Duly, Rob Good, Ryan Smart, Matt Geen. Subs. Jake Kioussis, Luke Mayhew, Michael Palmer, Brandon Rusby, Dean Whiten.

Marquis : Glen Morrison, Ryan Minter, Nathan English, Dan Bugg, Ryan Brady, Craig Minter (c), Stewart Tomkinson, Robin Miller, Kevin McLeod, Jamie Guy, Karl Andrade. Subs. Alex Young, Adam Jennings, Sean Catney, Joseph Butler, Dan Martin.

Full gallery from this morning's final

Many thanks to Lawford FC for the use of their facilities and Mr John Fowler's grandchildren Ben & Erin for attending the final, choosing the Man of the Match and presenting the trophies.

Match report & photos by Steve Catley

The Match Officials (from left) David Byrne (AR), Lee Miller (AR), Richard Baker (R) with Ben & Erin.

Man of The Match : Marquis' Karl Andrade with Ben & Erin.

Fowler Cup Runners-up 2017/18 : Duckpond

Marquis' Captain Craig Minter receives the Fowler Cup from Erin & Ben.

Fowler Cup Winners 2017/18 : Marquis

Search the site


Colchester Sunday League

Formed in 1966.

Site Design:
© Steve Catley (2015)

The daily paper for Colchester and north Essex