Season 2017 / 18  

Terry Martin Trophy 2017/18

22nd April 2018 - Terry Martin Trophy Final

CO4 Ultras2 - 0Thorpmund

Referee : Lewis Farthing
Assistants : Simon Bowey & Rob Cox
4th Official : John Watson

Pleasant sunshine and blue skies greeted the two teams as they began their Final clash this morning at Lawford, and it was Thorpmund who started the brighter of the two sides with the bulk of the early chances.

They shot over the bar and then wide inside the opening five minutes. CO4 claimed the first corner of the game soon after and then started a period of dominance.

A lovely ball from the back from Dadds set Willoughby through on goal, and although he had the strength to hold off his defender, the Thorpmund keeper came out well to cancel the threat.

On fifteen minutes two players clashed mid air around the halfway line. It was a heavy collision with CO4ís Lewis Jones badly winded, and it was enough to force his early substitution.

The game evened up with Webb having a good chance for Thorpmund and Bird hitting the side netting for CO4. With strong tackles being made, several free kicks were being awarded and on thirty minutes a Thorpmund free kick from the right found the head of Ribchester, but Hudsonís volley from outside the box flew over the bar.

The final minutes of the first half delivered the key moment with the ball seemingly going out play during a Thorpmund attack. A desperate CO4 foul on the edge of the box but Bishop wasted the excellent free kick opportunity. Moments later the fall fell to CO4 forward Harry Willoughby who had dropped deep to collect the ball before letting fly from thirty-five yards to find the top corner with perhaps one of the best cup final goals in many a year (see it here)

Half Time : CO4 Ultras 1 - 0 Thorpmund

Thorpmund started the second half as they did the first with a lot of possession but they failed to make the dominance count in the final third.

Another Webb free kick found the head of Whittaker but went high over the bar and this was their best chance from this period. CO4 picked up a couple of cautions as they sought to win the ball back and they also made a couple of key substitutions when fresh legs were needed.

Despite having a lot of the ball, Thorpmund failed to take advantage and on seventy minutes CO4 sealed the tie with another good goal. A Thorpmund free kick was collected by Adie Cant who drove forward strongly to halfway, being fouled in the process of playing his pass forward. The referee played a good advantage as Willoughby got the better of the defence with a great pass to Sam Bird who stood up after being fouled for a possible penalty, to beat the Thorpmund keeper at his near post from close range.

Going down fighting, Whittaker had a shot on target well saved and another Webb free kick fell to Hudson but with the goal seemingly at his mercy, the ball was cleared behind for a corner.

There was to be very little goal action during the closing stages as both teams battled hard for possession in the middle third without either finding the right ball forward.

CO4 ran out winners by playing a good game of football and by scoring two excellent goals. Thorpmund should be congratulated though for giving it all they could and they'll no doubt be keen to turn the tables when the sides meet again to decide the Division Four title.

Full Time: CO4 Ultras 2 - 0 Thorpmund.

CO4 Ultras : Jack Tollhurst, Adie Cant, Connor Jones, Jake Mitchell, Jack Gregory, Lewis Jones, Taven Clarke, Harry Willoughby, Sam Bird, Liam Dadds, Scott Hooper. Subs. Gary Wilson, Charlie Turner, Charley Cook, Bradley Measor, Jordan Hyams

Thorpmund : Steve Deacon, Nick Hudson, Chris Ribchester, Steve Downes, Darren Tarling, Adam Wrycraft, Matt Mcgowan-Harvey, Billy Whittaker, Jake Bishop, Jimmy Webb, Ashley Lacey. Subs. Ricky Finch, Sam Kibble, Martin Mina, Ashley Boyce, Stephen Cutmore

Full gallery from this morning's final

Many thanks to Lawford FC for the use of their facilities and Mr Terry Martin for attending the final, choosing the Man of the Match and presenting the trophies.

Match report : Jon Burns, photos : Steve Catley

The Match Officials : Referee Lewis Farthing (second left), his assistants (from left) John Watson, Simon Bowey
& Rob Cox with Mr Terry Martin.

Man of The Match : Co4 Ultras' Sam Bird receives his trophy from Mr Terry Martin.

Terry Martin Trophy Runners-up 2017/18 : Thorpmund

Terry Martin Trophy Winners 2017/18 : CO4 Ultras

Search the site


Colchester Sunday League

Formed in 1966.

Site Design:
© Steve Catley (2015)

The daily paper for Colchester and north Essex